Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Aaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!



Haidyn's school PTA does a calendar fund-raiser at the end of every year where you can buy a calendar with your childs art on it.

Haidyn's class did a reproduction of Edvard Munch's "Scream" and used this art for their PTA art.

Now honestly, I do not think I could have picked a better picture to depict my dear Haidyn's school year than this. She had one of those years where she just did not click with the teacher. (which from my stand point is really really a sad thing for a 7 year old, school is suppose to be magical at this age.. right?)

It all started last March when her teacher set up a parent meeting and told us that something was "up" with Haidyn. He felt she had "Aspbergers or some kind of processing disorder". He wanted her to have an RTLB (resource teacher learning behaviours) specialist come in and observe her in class and wanted us to get her evaluated. (not the sort of thing a parent wants to hear about their beautiful child)

It took the whole year, many specialists, family/friend support, lots of moola and formal reports later to make him understand that the only diagnosis she may have is being "American" and that our girl was a bit shy, really uncomfortable in his class and he was not making it better..

She is FINALLY having a better time in his class but she only has 16 more school days left in his room..

Reflecting back, I think poor communication and cultural differences are the key factors in why Haidyn's situation at school was escalated.. We just did not understand each other even though we were speaking the same language.

"The problem with communication ... is the illusion that it has been accomplished." - George Bernard Shaw

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Please Please Please... let next year be better!!!

Comments:
Oh Anna I am so sorry to hear this. You are so right in that teachers can make or break a child's spirit. They have them for 7 hrs in each day and it is so difficult when you see that your child is suffering.
I hope her next year is better. She is so bright and her amazing art is...well.....amazing.
I check in often but don't often comment so must be a 'lurker'
be well and enjoy the children's summer vacation!
vashti's mama
 
Ahhhh -that sure looks like scream on a boat. 16 days and counting. I hope she gets a nice teacher next year.
Happy Thanksgiving to you Americans abroad. I hope you are having a nice dinner (ham or lamb). I'll eat a piece of mom's turkey for you.
Call me tonight.
Gail.
 
Anna, your Haidyn is a scream. I want one of those calendars. It is so nice to read the comments of Vasthi’s mama. After reading her comments in the past and also comments on Vasthi’s blog it seems I know her. I can see why she is called “Gummalluvvy”. I ditto her comment about Haidyn, and next year will be better. We wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving and sure wish you and the family could be with us. I too will have a bite of turkey in your honor. I am recording the Macys’ parade so you may get an American holiday start to your Christmas season.

Have a great day from the Minneapolis grandparents. We love and miss you.
 
haidyn - that picture is absolutely amazing!! I would even love one framed!
Luv Aunty Chris
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Haidyn, you are a sweet sweet honey and I love the stuffing out of you. It must be tough to be in your teacher's classroom. You are however awesome for doing such a great job dealing with a challenge like your teacher. You are so talented Haidyn, I know that one day your teacher will read about you when you are famous!

Anna, I know this year has been a tough one. You love your children soooo much and it shows. You are a wonderful Mother and I love you! Eric, I've always been sweet on you and I know that you Reynoldseses will continue to do well because you all love each other and support each other!

I'm counting down with you Haidyn. I can't wait until your 'summer' break! Here is hoping next year brings more joy and less burden!
 
Wow, Anna, Haidyn, the whole crew, what a whacked out year you've had.

Such a challenge to keep the smiles going and happiness rolling.

You all are so awesome, even through the toughest of times. I admire you deeply for your dedication and perseverance.

Here's to an amazing next year, where Haidyn is able to be the most incredible young woman that we all know she is and the Reynoldz can breathe a bit easier.

We love you,
Robin, Ken, Mhari and the wee one.
 
Man I am jealous of that little girls' artistic talents. I am telling you that Haidyn is a FANTASTIC artist! I would love to have one of her paintings for my house. I'm sorry she has had such a rough year but the good news is that she is totally fine. When I was in school, only about half of my teachers were decent. I'm sure it will go better next year now that you know that communication is key! I miss you guys!! Are you staying put for Xmas? Kate
 
Things will get better! Each year is different and Haidyn is creative enough to find some fun in it.
I get to play cards with my brother and sister-in-law and niece on Wednesday. That is always great fun1 Hope you have a great Advent!
Love,
Aunt J
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?