Thursday, May 03, 2007
"Always Maintain a Kind of Summer Even in the Middle of Winter" - Henry David Thoreau (and Eric's cuz Kristi Larson =)
It is getting cold down here in NZ so we are trying to get ready for winter.
We have spent 2 winters freezing in this cold town so this year we wanted to be prepared.
I may sound like a wimp to you folks that suffer really cold winters in Minnesota BC and Montana. But you have one thing that hardly anyone has in this town.. HEAT in your house.
When I first arrived I thought it was strange to find out that hardly anyone has a source of heat in their house. Most people just use oil portable heaters, wood burning stoves, electric blankets or an "Extra Cardigan" to keep warm.
The house we bought only had a wood burner to keep it warm until the Reynolds moved in..
We are practically one of the first people on the block to install Central Heat.

we even have new ducts in our floors.....

These ducts have become a favorite cozy spot for the girls to hang out. (It is soooo nice to be warm.. notice Athea is even wearing short sleeves.. we are spoiled =)
We also have REALLY drafty windows. You might remember from an earlier post how super happy I was to get the 3M magic plastic for the windows from Gail (and Dan) when she came out.
I also had to get window curtains to help keep a little more of the cold air out and also to get a little privacy.
Well of course our windows are not a standard size so just going out to buy curtains did not work for us...
I then went to get some custom ordered but the price was pretty darn high..
I decided that I could make the curtains myself..
Eric had little faith that I could pull this thing off at first...
But, for a fraction of the cost of purchasing curtains.. I was able to make 3 window coverings..
(the fraction of the cost even has the sunk cost of a NEW Pink sewing machine added to the total.. cuz you can't sew curtains without a machine)
Voila~
3 sets of "Thermal Lined" curtains.. (Roman Blind kind) not too shabby.. :)

I used a Duvet cover that Robin from Eric's work gave the girls for their curtains.. Robin won it from the TV network.. he does not have kids.. and my girls love the "Little Einsteins" so he was kind enough to pass the gift along..
Well we were going to have trouble because there was only one duvet and 2 girls..

PROBLEM now solved.. :)
The duvet matched the walls that Lloyd painted perfectly! (and it save $$ for material..)
***
Now Eric pointed out to me that I only have 4 more to go... (I guess his faith returned.. and he was happy with them =)
***
The downside however.. is since I have been busy... the house is now waiting for me to clean.. (but that always seems to be the case =)
My dear Athea seemed to love the mommy neglect..
she got extra TV time on the couch... and the freedom to pull out all the toys.


PLAN B****
If all these winterizing tactics fail.. (which is possible living this close to Antarctica)
I just booked our flights to the States to enjoy a month of summer in LA, Montana and MN.
*******************************************
Arrive LA at 2:40pm on June 21
Visit Kevin and Kate in LA for a couple days..
>>
Depart to Bozeman - Sat, Jun 23, 2007 (Choteau for the 4th of July and our 10 year wedding anniversary anyone??)
>>
Depart to Minneapolis - Sat, Jul 07, 2007
>>
Anna and the Girls Depart back to LAX - Sun, Jul 22, 2007
Eric Departs back to LA Sat, Jul 14, 2007
>>
Anna and the Girls - Stay overnight with Kevin and Kate :)
(Eric is going straight home to get to work by Monday Morning)
>>
Anna and the Girls Depart to New Zealand
Depart - 10:30pm on July 23rd
Eric Departs to New Zealand
Depart - 9:30 pm on July 14
We have spent 2 winters freezing in this cold town so this year we wanted to be prepared.
I may sound like a wimp to you folks that suffer really cold winters in Minnesota BC and Montana. But you have one thing that hardly anyone has in this town.. HEAT in your house.
When I first arrived I thought it was strange to find out that hardly anyone has a source of heat in their house. Most people just use oil portable heaters, wood burning stoves, electric blankets or an "Extra Cardigan" to keep warm.
The house we bought only had a wood burner to keep it warm until the Reynolds moved in..
We are practically one of the first people on the block to install Central Heat.

we even have new ducts in our floors.....

These ducts have become a favorite cozy spot for the girls to hang out. (It is soooo nice to be warm.. notice Athea is even wearing short sleeves.. we are spoiled =)
We also have REALLY drafty windows. You might remember from an earlier post how super happy I was to get the 3M magic plastic for the windows from Gail (and Dan) when she came out.
I also had to get window curtains to help keep a little more of the cold air out and also to get a little privacy.
Well of course our windows are not a standard size so just going out to buy curtains did not work for us...
I then went to get some custom ordered but the price was pretty darn high..
I decided that I could make the curtains myself..
Eric had little faith that I could pull this thing off at first...
But, for a fraction of the cost of purchasing curtains.. I was able to make 3 window coverings..
(the fraction of the cost even has the sunk cost of a NEW Pink sewing machine added to the total.. cuz you can't sew curtains without a machine)Voila~
3 sets of "Thermal Lined" curtains.. (Roman Blind kind) not too shabby.. :)

I used a Duvet cover that Robin from Eric's work gave the girls for their curtains.. Robin won it from the TV network.. he does not have kids.. and my girls love the "Little Einsteins" so he was kind enough to pass the gift along..
Well we were going to have trouble because there was only one duvet and 2 girls..

PROBLEM now solved.. :)
The duvet matched the walls that Lloyd painted perfectly! (and it save $$ for material..)
***
Now Eric pointed out to me that I only have 4 more to go... (I guess his faith returned.. and he was happy with them =)
***
The downside however.. is since I have been busy... the house is now waiting for me to clean.. (but that always seems to be the case =)
My dear Athea seemed to love the mommy neglect..
she got extra TV time on the couch... and the freedom to pull out all the toys.


PLAN B****
If all these winterizing tactics fail.. (which is possible living this close to Antarctica)
I just booked our flights to the States to enjoy a month of summer in LA, Montana and MN.
*******************************************
Arrive LA at 2:40pm on June 21
Visit Kevin and Kate in LA for a couple days..
>>
Depart to Bozeman - Sat, Jun 23, 2007 (Choteau for the 4th of July and our 10 year wedding anniversary anyone??)
>>
Depart to Minneapolis - Sat, Jul 07, 2007
>>
Anna and the Girls Depart back to LAX - Sun, Jul 22, 2007
Eric Departs back to LA Sat, Jul 14, 2007
>>
Anna and the Girls - Stay overnight with Kevin and Kate :)
(Eric is going straight home to get to work by Monday Morning)
>>
Anna and the Girls Depart to New Zealand
Depart - 10:30pm on July 23rd
Eric Departs to New Zealand
Depart - 9:30 pm on July 14
Comments:
<< Home
Anna!! Those blinds look fantastic! I didn't really have a good picture in my mind when you told me but these are sOOOOOo great! Eric, you fake coffee maker of little faith :( !
I'm talking to Michael RIGHT now about our possible co camping expedition! I'm stoked!!
I'm talking to Michael RIGHT now about our possible co camping expedition! I'm stoked!!
You are AMAZING! I get hives even thinking about sewing anything. OK, it's official. You are now the coolest mom ever!
So glad to hear you'll get a good month of winter-summer in on the north side of the equator, even though it won't include a stop over on Vancouver Island:):)
So glad to hear you'll get a good month of winter-summer in on the north side of the equator, even though it won't include a stop over on Vancouver Island:):)
Anna, you are one amazing pioneer woman! Good work, dear girl. Thanks for your itinerary...something to really look forward to. We will be sure to be back from ND by then. Love. yout MIL.
Damn girl, you ROCKED those blinds! Pretty impressive and unbelievable for your first try!
Your trip sounds busy, but also very, very fun. You are smart to get outta the cold and into the summer. Will you be bringing empty suitcases to fill with Old Navy stuff? I am envious!
xo
Your trip sounds busy, but also very, very fun. You are smart to get outta the cold and into the summer. Will you be bringing empty suitcases to fill with Old Navy stuff? I am envious!
xo
I have some windows that still have temporary blinds. Can I hire you to make some curtains???
I am happy that you are coming to MN. Will you have time to get together with us? I would love to see all of you :-)
Post a Comment
I am happy that you are coming to MN. Will you have time to get together with us? I would love to see all of you :-)
<< Home

