Monday, May 21, 2007
Autumn Yard Work!
Well, the nice weather is still holding here, so last weekend Anna and I got around to doing some yard work. There was much to do. The previous owners put in a lot of nice native vegetation, but that was, like, many years ago. And as we are finding out, there is no such thing as a low maintenance yard here. Anna has been working with a local gardener to figure out which stuff is weeds and which stuff isn't. We have lots of flax and agapathus. Both are "not" weeds, but they act like it. There was a lot of pruning/thinning done. Here are some pics of some of the stuff we removed. Anna and the gardener had already removed this amount much earlier. And we are still not done.


When dealing with flax and agapathus, here are the gardening tools you need: a large axe.
I bought a 10$ shovel ("don't buy a 10$ shovel", Anna said), and broke it in about 4 minutes. Then I went and grabbed our garden fork and broke it too. (it had completely rusted at the base) - ahh life on the ocean.

Anna found a rat hole under the agapantha. Another reason we are thinning it out. I only found small cockroaches. The NZ nice kind. No weta's.

Most of this stuff can be hauled off to compost sites instead of landfill. But not flax. It biodegrades kinda like plastic biodegrades. So we had to make separate bundles of it to take to the landfill.
All in all, it was a good weekend. I only had to go into work once for 2 hours. I think the rest of the weekends should be free and clear. Here are a couple pics of the girls.




When dealing with flax and agapathus, here are the gardening tools you need: a large axe.
I bought a 10$ shovel ("don't buy a 10$ shovel", Anna said), and broke it in about 4 minutes. Then I went and grabbed our garden fork and broke it too. (it had completely rusted at the base) - ahh life on the ocean.

Anna found a rat hole under the agapantha. Another reason we are thinning it out. I only found small cockroaches. The NZ nice kind. No weta's.

Most of this stuff can be hauled off to compost sites instead of landfill. But not flax. It biodegrades kinda like plastic biodegrades. So we had to make separate bundles of it to take to the landfill.
All in all, it was a good weekend. I only had to go into work once for 2 hours. I think the rest of the weekends should be free and clear. Here are a couple pics of the girls.


Comments:
<< Home
Looks like a lot of work! Do you have to water the plants also?
We finally just mowed our lawn and fertilized the grass on Saturday. We didn't have a lwan mower here, but thanks to my brother Mark, he gave us one of his. Now the fun part of watering with a sprinkler.
We finally just mowed our lawn and fertilized the grass on Saturday. We didn't have a lwan mower here, but thanks to my brother Mark, he gave us one of his. Now the fun part of watering with a sprinkler.
Ok Eric and Anna, I think I will leave my yard for you guys to clean up when you get here since you have the expertise now. You know, my aching back. Your yard looks nice and I agree with Ruth, It did look like a lot of work.
Love Grampa Ted
Love Grampa Ted
Haidyn, you get more and more beautiful every single day! I like the picture of you sitting on the broken shovel!
Athea, you are adorable! I think that you, Theo and Madigan all have that second child "twinkle" in your eye! You are so cute tho, I bet you get away with alot!!
Eric and Anna, I was so happy to see a new post! I miss you guys! I can't wait until Anna gets here to visit me!
Your place looks fantastic! I love the garden. I don't think I'd love the roaches be they NZ or North American. I think I'm off the whole species.. same thing for rats!! But I do love you guys and I'm glad you might actually not have to work on the weekend for a bit!
xo
v
Athea, you are adorable! I think that you, Theo and Madigan all have that second child "twinkle" in your eye! You are so cute tho, I bet you get away with alot!!
Eric and Anna, I was so happy to see a new post! I miss you guys! I can't wait until Anna gets here to visit me!
Your place looks fantastic! I love the garden. I don't think I'd love the roaches be they NZ or North American. I think I'm off the whole species.. same thing for rats!! But I do love you guys and I'm glad you might actually not have to work on the weekend for a bit!
xo
v
nice post eric! your place looks great. too bad you can't like process that flax and eat it california style.
the girls are beautiful and you should listen to anna's sage advice more often! no more 4 dollar shovels!
here's hoping you can spend weekends at home with your 3 lovely girls from now on.
xo
the doucettes
the girls are beautiful and you should listen to anna's sage advice more often! no more 4 dollar shovels!
here's hoping you can spend weekends at home with your 3 lovely girls from now on.
xo
the doucettes
Gail says...While you were doing yard work, I was busy doing housework. We had a party for Dan on Sunday. Big 50! As for Anna's yard, I saw how much was removed the 1st time around. So believe me, they have been busy. Yukko ditto on the rat hole and roaches.
Haidyn and Athea, you cutey pies. We can't wait to see you again. I wanna cuddle.
Love Aunty Gail
Post a Comment
Haidyn and Athea, you cutey pies. We can't wait to see you again. I wanna cuddle.
Love Aunty Gail
<< Home

