Thursday, April 05, 2007
Meters, Liters and Grams oh my...
We are off to use the wizard, the wonderful wizard of all. It is the most wonderful wizard because because because because because.... I can't figure out the metrics. So now that you are going to be singing this famous toon all day, it is time to have a lesson in metrics. I used worldwidemetric.com to convert. The wizard.
Years ago, they tried to teach us Americans to use the metric system, but it never caught on. So I come to New Zealand and I find I should have paid more attention.
Anna sent me into the store to buy deli ham. It is sold in grams. What is a gram? Priced by the 100, so I figured I had to at least order 100 grams. I ordered 300 grams. Thinking I would get a mound (not a pound) of ham. I figured wrong, I received about 2/3 of a pound. Next time ask for 450 grams. Actually 1 pound = 453.59 grams.
Next, the Paua shell I showed you previously is about 4 inch long. That is 10 centimeters. Easier for me because our rulers have both inches and centimeters. The dragon teeth search walk was about 3.2 kilomers or 2 miles. Wee.
Now comes the shocker. We think paying 3.05 a gallon for gas is outragious in the states. In New Zealand, the price is 1.57 a liter. Hmmm not that bad. But if you convert that to gallons... Wow 5.93 a gallon. We filled up the people mover yesterday, it took 56.18 liters, which is 14.84 gallons. I'll let the pictures show. Then we had a car wash with rainbow bubbles. How cool is that. Anna said it is a protective coating.
Wednesday was the attempt to go to the beach with Haidyn's class. But the rain sent us back walking up the hill. OK about 1 kilometer down and 1 kilometer back. Or 1.2 miles.
Checking out worms for the bug unit at Haidyn's school. Walking down the hill and up.
We left Haidyn at school and headed to the museum. Not to many pictures because as I was taking photos like other people. Dani tapped me on the back and said, let me show you something. OK. A big sign saying no photos please. Oops. Darn tourists.
dunt dunt ... dunt dunt, watch oouuut a Mako "Shark" (Sound effect, think Jaws, the movie). Plus a stuffed Kiwi, the only one we have seen.
Mauri boat. Front carving of the boat. Lots of detail.
Dress up in KaKahu skirts and fairy wings. I could take pictures here. Anna left to change a puu puu in Athea's nappy (pull up). See ya later stinky pants, we are going to dance.
It was a rainy cold day. 20 c. or 60 something degrees. I don't feel like converting. We only know we had to start a fire in the fire place when we got home.
And.... Anna got busy putting up the magic 3M plastic Uncle Dan bought for her from Minnesotaaa. He found the last 3 boxes at Menards. Being it is spring in the states and people are removing the plastic and not putting it up. Anna is so happy, here are pictures. 3M should market to the Kiwis. To be more energy efficient.
Uncle Dan. Faith, Erin, Matt and Dani's daddy. He is in California visiting his brother while I visit my sister.
Gail, reading to the girls. Haidyn doesn't like spinich, same as DW in the story. After 2 stories off to bed. What happened to Anna? She went to bed at 8 pm. We are wearing her out. Athea wouldn't go to sleep. 2 hours laters, she finally fell off to ha ha land. Only to get back up at 6 am. By 9 am, we have had a full day of kids. Gotta go. Long blogs take me a long time with kid interuptions. Off to the zoo.
Comments:
<< Home
this lazy american still hasn't learned the metric system and i've been here 6 months and in canada for the 2 years prior to that! i get by just fine i think....
Since I am the first to post on this blog I just wanted to reiterate how super your pictures and your comments are. I was still trying to write a comment on your last blog when you called us and said you had created another blog. Now all I can say is none will come and then allota. Keep up the good work I love it
Love Dad “Grampa Ted”
P. S Mom said this reminds me of an old poem. "Hail, Hail the ketchup botttle, none will come and then a lotttle.
Love Dad “Grampa Ted”
P. S Mom said this reminds me of an old poem. "Hail, Hail the ketchup botttle, none will come and then a lotttle.
The blogging is stellar! keep up the excellent work gail! Anna, gotta love that window stuff!! It is so great to read about all the fantastic stuff you guys are doing... now with Michael mastering Maya and Mel scripting, you KNOW we will be there soon!
Post a Comment
<< Home

















