Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Advent Day #12 - Reindeer


Rudolph, Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder, and Blitzen are the most commonly cited names of Santa's nine reindeer.


In the poem "The Night Before Christmas" (attributed to Clement C. Moore), from which the names of the reindeer come, the reindeer known today as Donner and Blitzen were originally Dunder and Blixem (the Dutch words "Donder" and "Bliksem" stand for "thunder" and "lightning", as rendered in English orthography).

Dunder was later reprinted as Donder, which developed into Donner (the German for "thunder"); while Blixem was reprinted as Blitzen (Blitz is German for "lightning").

All of these reindeer names are recited in the first verse of the popular song Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, which in turn has helped make Rudolph by far the best known and most popular with children.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was born for the American department store chain Montgomery Ward in 1939, and has since entered the public consciousness as Santa's ninth and lead reindeer. (and I also just found out that Wards is still alive and kicking on the internet http://www.wards.com)

Thanks once again to wikipedia.. here is the link if you want to read more about the man in red... =) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_claus

and.... a special heart felt thanks to our dear sweet Haidyn for her lovely picture.. It is one that she drew by the christmas tree this afternoon.... She has been captured by the magic of the holiday and it tickles our hearts to see!!

Comments:
Ohhhh Haidyn! Those are the prettiest reindeer I have ever seen. You are so talented and clever and wonderful! I love you

vashti
 
Haidyn,

Your drawing is so good! for a young lady you sure have alot of talent. I like how the drawing is moving. (i wish I knew how to do that!)

Love,

Cousin Ruth
 
Haidyn -
Grandma & Grandpa LOVE your reindeer (and You too).
 
That is the greatest Christmas drawing every, Haidyn.

I feel very festive now.
 
That is the greatest Christmas drawing every, Haidyn.

I feel very festive now.
 
Haidyn,

You are a very talented little lady. We miss you and Athea lots and lots!! I love how creative you are. You are definately a product of your mom and dad.

Tammi,Travis,Alex and Josie.
 
ok. first off, Haidyn is a very talented artist and you should really enroll her in art school. seriously.

secondly, how did eric make the sleigh drive by like that? that is really cool. the entire blog for today (art + computer savvy) gets a 10.0 from the doucette clan.

congratulations! on putting our humble blog to shame.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?