Friday, November 24, 2006

Happy USA Thanksgiving!

Even being sooo far away in a land that does not celebrate Thanksgiving we managed to get together and celebrate the holiday in a true "eat until you burst fashion".

There is an organization out here called the "American Women's Association" http://www.awa.org.nz

They sponsored a huge Thanksgiving feast for all of the USA drifters here in Wellington NZ.

They supplied the turkey and we were all asked to bring a "traditional" favorite.

I am definitely not even close to Jo, Mom, Kate, or Heidi in the kitchen. (just some of the women in our lives who have made our traditional Thanksgiving dishes "favorites" =)...

But, I "attempted" to make:

1) green bean casserole - sans french fried onions. (they do not exist out here)
2) candied yams - using a yam family member called Kumara (it kind of turned a bit green colored after adding the "candied" part)

I was actually a bit embarrassed of the way my dinner contributions looked until I got to see what everyone else brought. We are all dealing with the same ingredients and all the dishes looked a bit off. (whew =)

It was a fun gathering of USA strangers and the food all tasted sort of yummy! =)

In the end, we figured the "REAL" ingredients that we truly "MISSED" were our family and friends.

Happy USA Thanksgiving Everyone!

Comments:
Right there with you:)
Sounds like a great time for all...awesome that everyone gets together to celebrate.
Gobble, gobble.
 
Happy Thanksgiving to you. I finally added a new post to ours. short but sweet.
The girls are so cute!
Ruth
 
that sounds like fun last night, sorry i wimped out.

you are right about the family being the best missing ingredients, well said. the girls, as always, look adorable.

Happy Thanksgiving my ex-pat pal.
 
Happy Thanksgiving way late from the Mussellams!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?