Wednesday, November 08, 2006
A Flat White Please....




It is really hard to find drip coffee down under, the KIWI are very picky about their coffee I have found.
When you go around for a "cuppa" at someone's house most people use a "BODUM Press" to make a coffee or they have their own espresso machines.
It is really rare to see a coffee maker and if you do it usually belongs to someone from North America. =)
I will tell you though, I have started to get a real taste for the coffee around here. It is easy to do when a great past time is to meet friends and chat at the local cafe. (the cafe's usually have toys to keep the kids entertained which even makes the coffee taste even better!)
The pictures above are just a few of the cafes we frequent around our neighborhood.
At the cafe, the coffee that I usually order is called a "Flat White". This is a NZ version of a coffee similar to a caffe latte. (They even sell these at the NZ Starbucks along with white coffee and a long and short black)
According to http://www.espressocoffeesnobs.com "a Flat-white is an exceptional espresso-based drink, rich and velvety in the mouth, and a personal favorite"
Now for you Barista's out there: (Dad, a Barista is the person who makes the coffee ;)
In making a flat-white, the volumized milk is blended so that the foamy part of the milk that forms on the top is folded in to the less-volumized milk at the bottom of the pitcher, making for a rich velvety consistency throughout the milk. This is then poured into the espresso.... =)
For those who are not Barista's, coffee snobs or espresso fans.. if you come to visit me I can still make you a good old fashioned perk coffee =) I even have the appropriate coffee filters, they were sent to me all the way from the States by my wonderful Mom. =)
But I will probably also take you around to a cafe so you can have a taste of the NZ "flat-white."
Comments:
<< Home
It may be 10:30 pm and I may be in my flannel pajamas, but you are making me crave a g-damned flat white! If our menfolk were home, I would rush out right now and grab you for an espresso fix.
Dood, if we manage to get ourselves to NZ. I will personally attend each and every cafe with you! I'm sure Maeve and Madigan could have whatever it is that Haidyn and Athea get and we could while away the LONG hours waiting on our mens! Bet you can't wait for Eric to make it home!
Okay, I'm there with you too. I haven't found a good coffee place around here yet. There is a Starbucks and a Caribou Coffee in St Cloud, but not close enough for me to just stop by. That Flat White sounds really yummy. I just love Vanilla Lattes. When does Eric and Haidyn get back?
Mmmm, flat white. I'm going to bed dreaming about it tonight since I am going on the cleanse next week, which means the last of delicious, wonderful, incredible coffee for a while.
Who needs drip when you have black (or white) velvet?:)
Who needs drip when you have black (or white) velvet?:)
Back in my younger days, I always had to have cream in my coffee. It was a struggle to find fresh cream. I used condensed cream and one time it just curdled. That was the last time I used cream. Donna drank coffee black so I started that way also. So now I take mine black. Last nite Donna made me a cup of tea and used some of her honey she just got to sweeten it. Pretty good too. I called her my "baristea" after reading your blog. {tea instead of a, get it} Have a good day and enjoy the Flat White.
Post a Comment
<< Home

