Tuesday, October 31, 2006
What is the Story Behind Halloween Anyway???





Here in NZ a few people have asked what is the history of Halloween.
I have learned that some people here think it is a form of satanic worship.. some are digusted by the "American" influence.. and some just have fun!
I could not educate my KIWI friends because to tell you the truth, I did not really know the "true history" of Halloween. To me it has always been a time to dress up in a costume, have fun and get treats!
So I looked up the "History of Halloween" on wikipedia to get the scoop.
Here is the link in case you are interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween
This year though in NZ, I have decided that the Reynolds girls are going to hang out in the house and observe Halloween to see what it is all about down under.
I have heard stories about children "trick or treating" here and getting treats at some houses and angry doors slammed in their faces at others..
We will not be slamming doors in faces.. We bought a heap of candy, dressed up and carved an albino pumpkin just in case we do get any NZ treak or treaters.. =)
Happy Halloween to those who par-take in the festivities..
and for those who do not... well just have a plain ol' good evening! =)
Comments:
<< Home
Ha.. hang in the house.. that only lasted a bit.. when by 6:30 we had Zero treaters come to the house.. We decided to go "TREATING".. The girls and I made bags of candy and dropped them off at some friends houses on our way to pick Eric up from work! It was pretty fun!
(and I was able to get rid of some of the candy that I purchased.
(and I was able to get rid of some of the candy that I purchased.
hahah thats the best idea.. reverse trick or treating! well done Anna!!! I recognize those target green baskets with blue handles! Currently they are what we use for drawers around here!!1
happy halloween!
happy halloween!
http://www.novareinna.com/festive/
Gail sent you this link. It gives a pretty good meaning to Halloween and also Guy Fawkers Day
Gail sent you this link. It gives a pretty good meaning to Halloween and also Guy Fawkers Day
Well, Anna - Halloween is not the same here anymore. It was very cold tonight so that might be part of it. We used to have over a hundred tricks 'n treaters. 15 years ago there was a record blizzard and we had over 200 treaters. David kept shoveling the steps so they could come up. I think we only had 40 kids tonight and they were mostly Latino. Dad has a hard time getting out of his chair, so I positioned myself on a chair in the front hall with my book and when the doorbell rang, I got up. I had Dad cover for me when I wanted a cig, - he lasted about 8 minutes and wanted to go back to his heating pad. I was a long 2 hours. Happy Halloween!
Happy Halloweeeeeeeeen......We have had a total of 8 tricker/treater costumed kids and two of them were Finn (LION) and Jeb (FROG). They stayed and ate some dinner, took a bath, and just now left for their own little beds which they have not slept in for over a week. They had arrived home here about 5 from their ND, MN, and SD trip. Needless to say, we have lots of candy left over but as usual it will do well to rev up the hunters. We surely do miss you all. Hugs and love, Grandma Jo
Gail says..Rabbits, since NZ is a day ahead of us, I guess you'll win every month. Oh well, the luck of the Irish/Germans with you always. As for All Hallows Eve, those Irish just like a reason to party. Since the kiddys can't drink like the parents, candy seems the best way to get them high on sugar. Haa haa haa. We dressed up as a Grim, Witch, Princess and a Tiger. Went out in the 30 degree temp and had a blast. We had zero treaters at our house. The fat squirrel had a blast eating the pumpkins. Matt complained that they should have the day after halloween off because he is so tired. I finally threw away last years yucky candy to make room for the new stuff. And Target clearance was 2 weeks ago, so I missed out in Bloomington. I'll have to hit up the Mpls Target.
Post a Comment
<< Home

