Friday, October 13, 2006

Haidyn's School "Fun" Fair

OK.. so when Haidyn started school I decided that I was going to be an active parent in her learning so I decided to join the Home and School Committee (PTA). I have volunteered at schools during my teaching classes and the ones that stand out as being really "cool schools" always had a really active PTA. So I thought that is what I want for my girl as well..

Well.... The school has their annual "Fun Fair" coming up in November, now that is fine and dandy.. most schools have one of these and all schools need the money.. SOOOO I volunteered to help.

I was handed a list of a bunch or companies in the neighborhood to call and ask if they would be willing to sponsor the fair. <**BIG SIGH**> Great.. begging for fair goods.. yuck.. I hate to do this more than anything in the whole wide world! Can't I clean the toilets instead??

But I have a hard time saying "no" so I took the list and started my rounds... and guess what, it has been as terrible as I expected! I have spent probably 100 bucks in gas/thank you flowers/chocolates and have received about 40 bucks in donations. Not to mention dealing with the fed up shop keepers who, as I am finding out, are getting hit up by all the schools around town. (Summer is a busy fair time here I guess) ughhh.. I only have 5 more to go.. <*SMILE*>

Yesterday, the fair "committee chair" (mental note.. I do not want that job in the future) stopped me outside of school and asked me to create the school flyer. "OK" I said (because again, I can not say no)..
I did not have much direction so the picture above is my inital attempt.. (and guess who the featured illustrator is hee hee)..
I have submitted the flyer to the "fair committee" and will see if they approve.

WHAT IS NEXT??.. only 29 days until "Fair Time" and it does not seem like much has been done.. I have a feeling I am going to be BUSY..

Comments:
I LOVE the flyer. Looks fabulous.
Ah, looks like my thoughts that moving to another country would allow us to skip the school begging is just a pipe dream. Fun!
Good work though. It's a mother's duty to suffer in the name of a proper education:)
 
Oh Anna.. you are such a better woman than I am! YOu are such a great MOM!! Eric, take your main girly out to dinner for me... or paint her toenails or something..she deserves it!!

love you guys!

xo
v
 
There you go Anna,driven by guilt, volunteering to help. Why does that mom-guilt always work?!?!? Thanks to you and the Old Man for the vote of confidence, I hope to live up to my role-model, and to find the time. Oh, by the way, nice flyer, I may need to contract your services some day.
 
did you know in my 2 year olds daycare class, he came home with 10 or so valentines last year??? now who would expect 2 year olds to really give a rats about valentines day? (naturally we didn't send any) did i already make my first parental social mistake? where are the rules for this job?
the type b in my personality is carefully relying on those type a moms to carry the torch for me in the future. you go girl and hurry up and move back here to help me out!

p.s. love the cultural diversity in the picture!

criz
 
shouldn't that read 'more worser school fair?'
Hi to all of you !
Vashti's nosy mama
 
Great poster and such wonderful artists. I have a friend who helps me say no. Being the amiable kind of gals we are, we want to make sure everyone is happy. Practice saying no in front of the mirror. Or just run like the dickens when you see the chair lady coming...
Gail
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?